Chocolate toxicity is a common occurrence at Easter time, even the smallest amount of chocolate can cause severe problems in pets.This is because it contains a potent stimulant called Theobromine, even the smallest amount can cause tremors, vomiting and diarrhoea. Generally speaking the darker the chocolate the more Theobromine it contains however we would advise contacting a Vet immediately if you find your pet has eaten any kind of chocolate.
Hot cross buns
These Easter favourites usually contain sultanas and raisins which are highly toxic to dogs, make sure they are kept out of reach and seek Veterinary advice immediately should your dog consume any. Delayed treatment can lead to kidney failure.
Lillies are popular this time of year. Cats should not have any access to these plants, even the pollen or water from the vase can cause severe kidney failure in cats. Seek Veterinary treatment immediately should you think your cat has made contact with a Lilly plant.
Daffodils and tulips are growing this time of year. Dogs should not be allowed to eat any part of the plant or bulb as they can cause serious gastro intestinal upset and daffodil poisoning can also lead to pets becoming sleepy, wobbly on their legs and even collapse.
Easter grass is the stringy, fake grass that appears in Easter baskets/hampers. Ingestion can result in the grass becoming anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. This would cause a blockage and likely require intensive and expensive surgery to save the pets life.